Legal Requirements


The Property Ombudsman

SW Residential are a member of The Property Ombudsman Service – TPOS (Membership Number: D04233). The Property Ombudsman (TPO) scheme provides consumers and property agents with an alternative dispute resolution service. By dealing with a Member of the TPO, the public may be confident about the agent’s approach in its dealings with actual and potential buyers and sellers of residential property or lettings in the UK. The Property Ombudsman provides a free, fair and independent service for dealing with unresolved disputes between sales and letting agents who have joined the TPO and consumers who are actual or potential buyers or sellers or landlords or tenants of residential property in the UK. The Ombudsman’s role is to reach a resolution of unresolved disputes in full and final settlement and, where appropriate, he will make an appropriate award of financial compensation or other action for example make an apology.  Therefore, if you feel that you have been disadvantaged by the actions or inactions of a TPO member, you have access to an independent dispute resolution service and can be certain of receiving a fair and reasonable judgment of your complaint. More information can be found here:


Client Money Protection

We are also members of CMP Client Money Protect, (Membership Number CMP005196) which is a Government-authorised membership scheme for lettings and property agents in the UK to protect the client money such as rents and deposits received by our members. If your agent has CMP membership then you can rest assured that your money is protected and the agent is compliant with the current legislation.  It is a legal requirement for letting agents to join a client money protection scheme for the benefit of their clients, typically landlords and tenants, to safeguard money they hold on their clients’ behalf. In the event that the owners of the business misappropriate any of this money, landlords and tenants can contact us and make a compensation claim against the agent. If a genuine claim is accepted, then we will recompense the landlord and/or tenant and seek recovery from the letting agent or its owners.    More information can be found here:

Organising Gas Safety Certification

Services include: Management of certification for the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The documentation covers the annual gas safety certification for boilers, gas hobs, fireplaces.

Organising EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)

Services include: In line with Regulations, which came into effect on 1st June 2020. The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 requires a Landlord to have electrical installations checked and certified by a competent and certified contractor every 5 years. SW Residential is at hand to have your back on this…

Organising PAT Testing (Portable Appliance Test)

Services include: Ensuring electrical appliances are safe and in good order.

Organising EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

Services include: As of 1st April 2018, it became a legal requirement for residential landlords to ensure their Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) have a minimum rating of E.

An EPC is needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. All landlords must order an Energy Performance Certificate for potential buyers or tenants before marketing their properties to sell or let, or just leave it with us…

Holding & Registering Deposit With ‘My Deposits’

SW Residential are registered with full access to the government accredited ‘My Deposits’ scheme. For further information, read up on the scheme, which can be found on ‘’.

Contract Organisation 

Services include: SW Residential use watertight documentation drafted by a specialist law firm for all their contracts.

Our outsourced partners have the capacity to formulate AST, Common Law, Memorandum to the Agreement, Surrender of Tenancy, and the serving of Section Notices.

Applying For Underlet Licenses

Services include: SW Residential are by your side on occasions whereby the Head Lease demands an underlet licence is obtained, for a letting to proceed.

Applying For Licence To Alter

Services include: For buildings where any internal alternations or building works are demanded, SW Residential will obtain prior permission, and ensure a licence is granted.